Several months ago we booked a trip, a cruise, with my good friend and her family. We were so looking forward to it. We counted down the days. I had a ticker on this blog. We went tanning at lunch. We shopped online for outfits to wear and got our husband's new swim trunks.
Then a week before we were set to leave on our amazing trip, SHIT hit the fan! Not literally thank goodness, but figuratively, It hit the fan, Splattered and echoed off of everything it touched.
1. Baby got sick. Not just sniffles sick. RSV (ridiculously scary virus)sick. 103 temperature sick. Throwing up on Mama late at night sick. Not eating, not sleeping, coughing runny nose, added with double ear infection sick.
2. During Night ONE of this crazy sickness, our power went out. I had to pick up my FINALLY SLEEPING SOUNDLY infant and bring her downstairs by the fire place and snuggle with her on the couch. Steve was wonderful and made sure we all stayed warm for the over 4 hours it was out.
3. On my way to work the next morning, a blizzard hit, and I in turn hit another vehicle. Thankfully I only slid into him and no damage or injuries happened. Best outcome of an accident really.
4. The night before we were to leave on our vacation, another snowstorm hit. Only this snowstorm was made of flavorless slurpee. Because the slush was so heavy the rain couldn't move off the roof and we had a leak into the family room directly next to the baby and I. (it stopped an hour later when the slush turned to snow thankfully)
5. The MORNING we were leaving Steve was cleaning the snow/slush off his truck when a neighbor from down the street flipped his ATV and did a 360 directly into our mailbox. THANKFULLY this man is ok, but I do believe he sustained a closed head injury. Unfortunately our mailbox is not. It was destroyed. So we haven't had mail in a week. (I truly am thankful the man is doing well, his life is more important than our mail)
6. This morning I went to pay my Amex Card and it had been hacked. Someone, who is not me or Steve, purchased a Nikon Camera Lens for $329.99 with their paypal account using my card. So a series of phone calls to Paypal and American Express were made. Thankfully we will EVENTUALLY be reimbursed but it could take until JUNE.
We were startled at all of these things, but thankful none of it prevented us from getting the HELLS out of Dodge. Callie was in the cozy capable hands of my Mom. The power returned, the leak stopped, the car was fine and the mailbox could wait. We got on the plane and landed in Fort Lauderdale only 40 minutes late.
The weather wasn't 85 degrees and calm for the trip but we Loved it all the same. I called home too many times, but its normal for first time parents who leave their only child for the first time (especially one with a nasty cough still hanging on!). Key West was gorgeous and we adored it. Cozumel, although unusually windy, was also amazing. The water was turquoise and our tour guide witty and knowledgeable. The ship was fun and made me a little seasick. We enjoyed ourselves thoroughly. In the end our first trip without the baby was a success. Thanks Mom!