Monday, October 1, 2012

5 Blissful Years

Last Friday Steve and I celebrated our fifth wedding anniversary. So much has changed this year. I even forgot to get him a card! We did get each other gifts, and then totally spaced on giving them to each other, whoops! I had been a little preoccupied with my daughter's 4 month sleep regression and my best friend's wedding that I kind of stunk it up in the Wife department. I'm just lucky that card or no card, he's still my best friend.

I also starting writing this blog 5 years ago with goals and hopes of the future and I've met most of them. I wanted to finish school, check. I wanted to become a mom, check. This blog has evolved too. It started as a way to keep up with other friends and family who don't live close by, and turned into a journal of sorts about our struggles with infertility. I like to look back and reread some of the posts. All the hopeful posts in the 2ww, all of the sad posts when another cycle had failed. The incredible post when I share our positive pregnancy test. I have no doubt this blog with keep moving forward and involve the musings of raising Callie and trying to remember to buy Steve cards for important occasions.

This past weekend it was a pleasure to watch one of my oldest friends FINALLY tie the knot. I was so surprised when she asked me to be her maid of honor. For one because at the time I was on strict bedrest and couldn't even fathom what the Fall of 2012 would be like, and two because of all her friends I thought she had known me the least amount of time. Which is saying something for her keeping friends since we have been friends for nearly 20 years. I was completely honored and knew that my speech had to be kick ass. I decided it wasn't going to be your "run of the mill" speech, it wouldn't be me without flare. So I decided that I was going to do something musical. And since I'm not a rockstar and I don't have any exemplary musical skills (Ok, I was in band and choir all through high school, but that's because I have always LOVED music, not because I stood out with a ton of talent in that area.)I decided my best way for inspiration was to get on Youtube and search for something I could perform and make my own.

April and I have always appreciated our not-so-inward-geekery. She always has silly ideas that were always the most fun, so when I saw someone perform the Fresh Price of Belair theme song to their own words, I knew that was the right fit. It was the perfect song for our generation, easily duplicated, and perfect for this white girl who has absolutely NO rapping skillz. CLICK HERE TO WATCH

My favorite part is Steve's reaction at the end. He really is my biggest cheerleader. Melodi helped me practice all week to get it just right. I'm so glad it turned out well. I really wish he would've taped the whole speech but really the part he got was the best part.

Next post I will fill with what you really want, pictures of sweet Callie. I promise! :)

No comments: